Saturday, August 19, 2006

The Windy City I've Fallen in Love With

Chicago....i can't really find a word to describe it. It is beautiful, sophisticated, and suprisingly clean. I absolutely love this city. Chicago is known as the city of architecture, and here there are tons and tons of really cool buildings and i had a chance to see most of the top ten buildings in chicago (i saw 9, missing the John Hancock Center which was a little farther north). The Sears tower was right outside of Union Station, where i was dropped off at by the train. That is really big to look at when you are across the street from it. Its huge. I then walked down most of the streets of Chicago taking pictures of the buildings and wierd, old, cultural things like old theaters and operas. In the middle of the divided streets, there is a margin, and instead of just having a cement margain like we have in B*Town, they have these marble planters with lucious plants and flowers. And walking down all of these streets, there wasn't one peice of trash. It was insane. Also, their sidewalks are really wide across. I think that they are like 30-40 feet wide so tons of people can fit down the sidewalk. I then went to the worlds largest bean. Yeah, a bean. And it cost something like a little over $4 million to polish. It was ridiculous. I couldn't believe that so many people flocked to this ridiculous place to see the worlds largest bean. It wasn't even that exciting. Ok, going on the inside of the curve was pretty cool, i'll admit it, and people watching was hilarious. You had a lot of rednecks coming into the city to see the worlds largest bean. I watched some crackpot guy actually lay down at the bottom and just lay there for over 45 minutes. It was wierd, and the polish actually works because you can see your reflection in the bean when you walk up to it, and it was designed to show the Chicago skyline, as you can see in this picture. The bean was in what's called Millenium park, where they have a lot of really neat things, but im only going to tell you about one other thing. They had this place with two brick rectangles that were like 40 feet from eachother. The bricks turned into faces of people that moved. Like, the faces actually blinked and their mouths moved. It was so cool!!! And in between the rectangles, there was water and little things that shot water up. And the brick rectangles would have water leak out of them when they weren't the faces of people. At one point, the rectangles where people, and they moved their mouths into a circular shape and....spit out water. It was awesome. I was completely unprepared for this kind of techonology in the middle of a city park. Then, i went to the Chicago Field Museum, which is huge and i didn't get to go through all of the exhibits, but i did get to see King Tut and his mummified body, walk through and learn about all of the african tribes and their ways of life. I also got to learn about how they mummified people and thought that that was way interesting. We walked through a dinosaur exhibit, but by far, the gem and mineral rooms were my favorite. I saw a 5,980 karot diamond, which let me tell you, it was extremely gorgeous. I wanted to steal it. I also saw a really really cool Mesolite mineral, which i could have stared at for hours. Then, i looked at the clock and almost missed the train. It was bad. I did a five mile sprint across the city of chicago and felt cheated since i didn't get to site see the way back, since i took a different route to get to the field museum. I experience the dryest throat i have ever had in my entire life on the two hour train ride back to Geneva (suburb of Chicago). I think i would have boughten a bottle of water for $200 on the black market i was so thirsty. I would have given my left leg and sold my soul to Lucifer i was seriously that thirsty. But, i got back to Geneva and experience two firsts in my life. I experience my first Jamba Juice, which was good, and then i experience my first Carnie Posada Cuisine, which was very good. It's like this spicy steak in a torilla shell, with cheese, sour cream, guacamole, some wierd salt, bean, corn, pepper, onion, celery mixture. It was very good. I also had a very very enormous Chicago hot dog. Which filled me up, so i could only fit one Carnie Posada in my stomach. I wish i would have skipped the hot dog and had another Carnie Posada. You guys have to try one. MMMMMM. Delicous. Ok. Tomorrow i leave for Pennslyvania, really really early in the morning. I think we are driving like 600 some miles, but i have full faith in MONA to show us the way and lead the blind (us). So, keep it REAL all, and be safe. And please, try not to party to hard without me.

1 comment:

m_kummet said...

kayla, im glad things are going well, and in your honest opinion is it windier down there? im also glad to hear that your doing some things for the first time in your life, and trying new things. something we should all do more often. i recently tried my first red bull....well it was the same day i went to my first funeral since my grandpa passed.

also my b-day is in 10 days! so there may or may not be a bigger party ahead. everyone's so frickin busy this summer it's more difficult than when we were 7 to get all your friends together for a few hours. but i intend to keep everything REAL!